1/08/2015

The sky must be grey over Paris today

I run this blog where I write about small matters of everyday aesthetics and share my mundane thoughts on these. I almost never write about political or personal subjects, because I have decided long ago, that this is not the space for those.

But today I need to say, that the fact that I can choose to blog, write what I damn well please, and be free to do so - is almost the only thing really worth fighting for. And I say this as a sworn pacifist and a non-religious person.

If I could grant my son and his generation one single thing in their futures, it would be this freedom.
It encompasses everything I find important, including the right to express your religious beliefs in respect and with understanding for those otherwise inclined. It is the core, the very essence, of democracy.

My heart goes out to everyone touched by the attacks in Paris yesterday - and that, essentially, means every one of us.

Paris is one of my favorite cities in Europe, and one I have visited many times. And I really like the French. You only have to step into any tabac to feel how they appreciate debate and passionate discussion and how they actually value their writers, philosophers and politicians. I find that so deeply inspiring and wonderful.

We are all Charlie.

(photo is from fineartamerica.com)

No comments :

Post a Comment